Disclaimer: The following in about 92% true. This is based upon the inadequacy of my own memory, varying levels of insomnia-induced confusion and personal tendencies towards hyperbole. Please don't take any of it too seriously - the stories, yourself or life in general.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Manners Gone Wild

I don’t do this often but I’m going to get on my soapbox for a minute and preach.  Sorry, just bear with me, read the letter below and maybe you’ll understand.  It just seems like social decorum is crumbling around me in a sea of drunken nudity, reality TV and a complete loss of verbal filters.  Where have good manners gone?  I will begin with a heinous example of public behavior gone wrong and I will move to topics like thank-you note writing, unreturned phone calls, proper conversation, inappropriate questions and drunken behavior.  True we’ve all been social fuck-ups at times.  But let’s at least make an effort to stop being so terrible.  As my own Mom would say, “Their mothers would be horrified.”

Author’s Note:  When I first received this forwarded letter I was going to write a commentary on it.  Upon reading it, I decided that it speaks for itself.  Names have been blacked-out (much like the people themselves) to protect the guilty.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment